Built by the Venetians in the 15th century the Old Fortress is the most recognizable landmark of the Old Town and one of the impressive fortifications in Europe. Today it houses parts of the Ionian University, has a cafe restaurant and numerous concerts are held during the summer months. The top of the fortress offers one of the best view of the city. More ...
The New Fortress
Officially named fortress of Saint Mark it was built during the 16 centaury on the hill of Saint Mark it protected the city from the west .It is constituted by two twin bastions and is considered a architectural marvel, especially impressive are the two gates that stand in very good condition and still carry the emblem of Galinotatis (the winged lion of Saint Mark). More ...
St. George & Michael Palace
Built at the start of the 19th century entirely in Maltese stone it shows a clear influence of the British neoclassical architecture typical of the era. It has served as the residence of the British Lord High Commissioner, then the seat of the Ionian Senate and the headquarters of the Order of SS. Michael and George. Today it houses the Museum of Asian Arts and Municipal Gallery. More ...
Founded (1267-1386) when over population from the Catholic overlords forced the residents of Koryfo to build outside the city walls. Thus the Historic Centre of Corfu Town was established. In this period, the first Jews arrived, banished from Spain, and settled in the 'Ovrisvouni' (hill of the Jews), the area now known as Campiello.
Mon Repo Palace
Built by Commissioner Adams for his beloved wife in 1831 was rarely used when he was sent to India. King Georgios I, after taking the possession of the Ionian Islands named this palace as the Mon-Repos Palace. It was the residence Parini, then governor of the Ionian islands. It is also the birthplace of the Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth. More ...
Was the centre of the ancient city of Corfu. Today, only a few remains of an archaic temple dedicated to Hera still exist. Built around 600 BC, destroyed during the civil war of 428 BC, rebuilt in 400 BC, and demolished by the Romans in 30 BC. The little that was left was used by the Venetians for their great work of fortifying the town. More ...
Alkinos Harbour Installetions
The islands first ports were the Alkinoos to the east, today the bay of Garitsa and the Hyllaic port to the west, what is today the Chalikopoulou Lagoon by the airport. These are the buildings that served both these ports. More ...
Canons in Kanoni
Left behind by the Russian artillery in 1803 are the canons (kanonia) from where the place takes its name. Today the historic value of this spot has been shadowed by its touristic appeal mostly thanks to its view of the Mouse island. It is also the highest spot of what used to be the first port of the island.
From the hills of Analypsis a footpath winds down to the spring of Kardaki, for which tradition says that a stranger who drinks from it will forget his own home for ever. Perhaps it goes to explain why so many foreigners have made Corfu their new home More ...
is the area between Platytera and the port, one of the most historic neighbourhoods in Corfu. In 1799, the people of Mandouki resisted the French conquerors and barricaded themselves in the Platytera Monastery. The French defeated and disbanded them, and plundered and burnt the Monastery.
Few islands in Greece have such a long and turbulent history as the tiny city of Corfu. Two massive fortresses at each end of the historic city are the first indications of what battles raged some centuries ago, and the sheer number of majestic buildings, including two palaces, just how desirable this place was. The main reason Corfu was always a battle away from the next one, was its geographic location. At just sixty nautical miles away from Italy it was and still is the gateway to Mainland Europe. Corfu was the first port of call for any ship coming to Greece from the Adriatic sea. It also was a stop with plentiful supplies of food, water and precious timber for building or repairing ships, the Venetian shipyard in Gouvia still stands testament of this. So it should come as no wonder why the Venetians invested so much in Corfu, building two massive fortresses to protect the city, which they did so well, that Corfu is the only part of Greece never to fall into Ottoman hands.
And its not just the Venetians who have a long history with the island. The British, the Austrians, the French, even the Russians have all left their marks and despite the bombings of the second World war, the museums struggle to maintain and display all that still exists and is still being found.
This of course is just a glimpse of the islands history, we hope to gradually expand these pages to include a little more detail in the near future.
This site is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by specified business. It exists as a compendium of supporting information intended for informational purposes only.
If you want to buy this website, please don't hesitate to contact us via e-mail: domain (dot) sales (dot) org @ gmail (dot) com or you can find and buy it on Afternic domain auctions.