Patron of the island, but originally from Cyprus Saint Spiridon, after whom the church is named is though to have saved the island four times from grave dangers and has so become the most important saint of the island. The architecture of the church is typical of the Venetian architecture that dominates all over the Old Town of Corfu. Its bell tower is the highest spot of the town
Virgin Mary of Foreigners
The holy Temple of Yperagia Theotokos (Virgin Mary) of Xenon was built by the priest Nicodemos, who was from Epirus and wanted to build the church for the refugees from Epirus, who came to Kerkyra after the persecutions during the Ottoman domination.
Saint Ioannis Prodromos
The temple of Saint Ioannis the Precursor, like the other churches of Kerkyra, belongs to the type of one-aisle royal churches with a wooden tiled roof. The church was built in the 15th century (1480) and the exterior is simple without shutters in the windows. Characteristic architectural elements of the temple are the bell tower and the roof in stages.
Hyperagia Theotokos Spileotissa
The church is dedicated to three saints, Panagia Spileotissa, since after the destruction of the church the icon of Panagia Spileotissa was brought here, to St. Vlasios and to St. Theodora. The church is fashioned after the Eptanesian Basilica tri-aisle churches, while its front view stands out for its renaissance elements.
St. Nikolas (of the elderly)
Built in the beginning of the16th century. The church of Saint Nikolaos of Geronton belongs, as most post byzantine churches of Corfu, to the basilica one-aisle churches, with the wooden tile roof and a perimetric corridor. The building complex of the temple also includes the priest’s residence in its northern side. It was one of the richest churches of Kampielo
All Saints & Panagia Vlacherna
It was built in the year 1688, by Ieremias Sporos. A small fraternity gave life to the church. In the year 1851 the Fraternity of The Butchers, who used to have a small church consecrated to the Panagia Vlaherna in the New Fortress of Corfu, proposed to All Saint’s fraternity the unification of the two churches, as theirs had been destroyed by the British.
Virgin Mary Mandrakina
The church of Virgin Mary Mandrakina, which is dedicated to Virgin Mary and to Saint Panteleimonas, was built in the 18th century. In 1944 it suffered serious destruction and was restored after approximately five years.
Virgin Mary Megalomata
Spileotissa by the sea
Saint Antonios & Andreas
The holy Temple of Saint Antonios and Saint Andreas was rebuilt in 1753 in place of an older temple, which possibly was first built in the 15th century. Historically it is identified with the church in which the emperor Ioannis Palaiologos functioned when he visited Kerkyra as an intermediary stop in his travel for Florence in 1439, in order to resolve the matter concerning the union of the two churches.
Saint Jacob's Cathedral (Duomo)
This classic Venetian building of 16th century is dedicated to Saint Jabob (San Giacomo) and Saint Christopher. The Catholic Church is impressive with the baroque curve at the upper front, the gothic tower and the bell tower. It was suffered serious damages from the bombings of World War II and the rebuilding dated in 1969.
Virgin Mary of Tenedos
One of the most historic churches in Corfu Island is the Latin church of Virgin Mary of Tenedos, built at the end of 15th century. Its name is coming from an icon that refugee Catholic priests brought to the church from Tenedos, when the Turks conquered the island, after the fall of Byzantine Empire.
St. Jason and St. Sosipater
Dedicated to Saint Jason, Bishop of Tarsus and Saint Sosipater, Bishop of Iconium, disciples of the Apostle Pavlos, who lived in the 1st century AD and brought Christianity in Corfu Island. The church, built in early 11th century, is the oldest Christian church in Corfu and the most important Byzantine monument
Panayia Neradziha is an important monument which clearly reveals its two construction periods, Classical and Byzantine. The lower part is the only surviving and visible section of the wall of the ancient city of Kerkyra, a fortification tower, and its construction is dated to the Classical period (5th cent. B.C.).
Holy Trinity Anglical Church
The Holy Trinity Anglican Church was founded in 1864 for the British community.
Agios Georgios (Old Fortress)
One of the most beautiful churches in Corfu, is located within the grounds of Old Fortress and built in 1840 by the British in basilica style. It use to be the parish of the garrison. The exterior is decorated with six long stone columns in Doric architecture. During the bombings of World War II suffered serious damages and it was restored in 1956.
Virgin Mary Kremasti
Dedicated to Virgin Maryc it was built in 16th century in the type of basilica with exo-narthex in three sides, but only the one is still preserved. The stone temple of the sacred and the oil paintings (18th century) of S. Sperantza are remarkable pieces of work. The name “Kremasti” was given to the church from an icon of Panagia that was hanging on the wall.
Probably built between 17th and 18th century the church is dedicated to Virgin Mary Vlacherna, a monastery, which it was a nunnery until 1980, a cemetery and a cypress tree.
Pantokratoras (Mouse islet)
This little typical Orthodox church with a round dome stands on the little islet of Pontikonisi (Island of Mice), right opposite the area of kanoni, and it is dedicated to the transfiguration of Christ.
Pantokratoras ( Campielo )
Monastery of the Virgin Platytera
Located in the suburb of Mandouki, the monastery was first built in 1743 and renovated after its destruction, in 1799, during the Franco Russian-Turk War.
The main church of the monastery houses some valuable Byzantine and post-Byzantine icons and paintings made by masters of the iconographic art.
In the same area, nearby the monastery, there is the grave of Ioannis Kapodistrias who was the first governor of the new and independent Greek State.